The coconut is a nutritious source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. This is one of the superfoods and provides unimaginable health benefits. The coconut oil possesses healing properties far beyond that of any other dietary oil and is extensively used in traditional medicine. To Pacific Islanders, coconut oil is the cure for all illness and the tree is often reffered to as "The Tree of Life". Shared from https://www.coconutsecret.com, below are a few of the many health benefits of coconuts.
- Coconut aids in weightloss efforts by speeding up metabolism and providing an immediate source of energy with fewer calories than other fats. It's rich nature, also helps to suppress appetite. People who consistently use coconut products, report a stronger ability to go without eating for several hours with no affects of hypoglycemia.
- Coconut improves heart health by providing healthy short chain and medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) that are essential to good health. Close to 98% of all fatty acids consumed are composed of long-chain fatty acids (LCFA), which are very different from MCFA that have no negative effect on cholesterol ratios and help to lower the risk of atherosclerosis and protect against heart disease. Unlike other fats, the unique properties of coconut also contain a large amount of lauric acid, which is the predominant fatty acid found in mother's milk.
- Coconuts are high in Dietary Fiber rivaling other fiber sources such as psyllium, wheat bran, oat bran, and rice bran. Coconut supplies an impressive 61% dietary fiber! Foods contain two types of carbohydrates - digestible and non-digestible. Digestible carbohydrates (soluble fiber) consists of starch and sugar and promote calories. Non-digestible carbohydrates (insoluble fiber) contains NO calories. Since the body cannot digest the dietary fiber in coconut, no calories are derived from it and it has no effect on blood sugar.
- Low Glycemic Index (GI) measures how fast available carbohydrates in food raise blood sugar levels. Coconut fiber slows down the release of glucose, therefore requiring less insulin to utilize the glucose and transport it into the cell where it is converted into energy. Coconut also assists in relieving stress on the pancreas and enzyme systems of the body, in turn, reducing the risks associated with Diabetes. Coconut Nectar and Crystals have a very low GI of only 35 (compared to honey with a GI of 55-83, and sugar with a GI of 65-100.)
- Coconut reduces Sweet Cravings and improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose. The healthy fat in coconut slowsdown any rise in blood sugar and helps to reduce hypoglycemic cravings.
- Coconut improves Digestion and many of the symptoms and inflammatory conditions associatedwith digestive and bowel disorders, by supporting absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids while also providing beneficial dietary fiber.
- Coconut gives a quick Energy Boost that provides a super nutritious source of extra energy. Coconut is utilized by the body to actually produce energy, rather than to store it as body fat. It supports improved endurance during physical and athletic performance. As well, it promotes healthy thyroid function and helps to relieve the symptoms of chronic fatigue.
- In addition, coconut contains No Trans-Fats, is Gluten-Free, Non-Toxic, Hypoallergenic, and also contains Antibacterial, Antiviral, Antifungal, and Anti-parasitic healing properties. Coconut helps to aid and support overall Immune System functions.
Information sourced from https://www.coconutsecret.com