Sometimes, persons believe that the only way to lose weight is by dieting. To most, dieting means depriving yourself of all that tastes good, and eating bland foods that have less calories and are less fatty. However, dieting can be enjoyable – by eating food that have the dual benefits of taste and healthiness. This article will present various foods that you can eat to make you slim and trim, and illustrate that dieting does not mean you have to deprive yourself of taste.
- Shrimp – low in calories, and a great source of lean protein, shrimp helps increase the metabolic rate (which is said to increase fat burning) and suppresses your appetite.
- Tomatoes – also low in calories, tomatoes are tasty and make a great little snack, especially the bite sized ones that can be popped into your mouth.
- Egg whites – are not only low in calories, but are have a good source of protein. Although egg whites alone are not too appetizing, scrambling 4 to 5 of them with vegetables such as spinach, tomatoes and onions are a great way to start your morning.
- Cucumber – have a high water content and are low in sodium.
- Salsa – sometimes eating vegetables alone can become a bit bland in taste, so adding salsa as a kind of dip for your carrots and celery means you enhance the taste without adding too much calories. Salsa is low in calories, and is perfect to add to sandwiches and baked potatoes, making it the ideal replacement for things such as butter and mayonnaise.
- Air popped popcorn (no butter or oil) – these are low in calories and can be topped with parmesan cheese, chili powder, other spices, and hot sauce. This type of popcorn is not the packaged kind, but rather the kernels themselves, air popped in a brown paper bag.
- Hot Sauce/Hot Red Pepper – can act as an appetite suppressant and increases metabolism.
- Grapefruit – sweet, tasty and refreshing but also low in calories.
- Beans – tend to be very fulfilling and are great source of protein. Since they are high in fiber, they leave you feeling full for a longer period of time, which may curb your appetite.
- Green tea – contains antioxidants called catechins, which speed up metabolism and increase fat burning.
- Pears – contain pectin fiber which makes you feel quite full after consumption, and helps you to reduce between-meal snacking.
- Dark Chocolate –real dark chocolate is said to be effective in reducing belly fat. This is due to the ingredient of pure cocoa butter, while the other chocolate most popularly consumed, milk chocolate, tends to contain butter fat. Dark Chocolate is also an appetite suppressant as it takes longer to digest.
- Avocado – contains oleic acid, which is said to reduce those hunger pangs. They are also rich in protein and fiber.
- Greek Yogurt – contains extra protein, and thus takes longer to breakdown. Also the fat in Greek yogurt makes you feel satisfied, so therefore you will have a reduced urge to snack.
- Apples – low in calories and high in dietary fiber which is a great combination for those looking to lose weight.
- Almonds – studies have shown that almonds have a good source of protein and fiber, thereby helping you to feel full for longer period of time. They also require a lot of chewing, which makes you feel like you have eaten more than you have and keeps you full for longer.
While most of these foods contribute to making you feel full and not necessarily lose weight, being fuller for a longer period of time is an essential aspect of staying slim and trim. When you feel full, you are less inclined to snack and eat, and therefore you are less likely to ingest calories. This list is by no means exhaustive, but can provide a good starting base for those who wish to become or remain slim and trim, while still enjoying what they are eating.
To view image sources click here