Island Heritage - Community Independence Celebrations 2016
The Community Independence Celebrations Secretariat, charged with planning the celebrations, seeks to ensure that the people become more involved with the preservation of Barbadian culture and heritage. They aim at positively affecting lives of Barbadians so that independence is not just a one day celebration and ‘pride and industry’ is not just a slogan. This ongoing celebration ensures that people continue to remember the importance of nationalism.
- An Official Launch, held on the last Saturday of August each year at the Jackie Opel Amphitheatre
- Parish Talent Zonal Shows held usually in September
- Lighting Ceremony and Bajan Folk Brew traditionally held on 01 November at Heroes Square, Bridgetown
- Spirit of the Nation Show held in November
- Spirit of Independence Tour held during the week of Independence
- And various other November activities organised by community groups, schools, church groups under the umbrella of the Parish Independence Committees in celebration of the nation's Independence throughout the month of November, across the island.
November Files - The Lighting Ceremony
November Files - NIFCA
November Files - Independence Square
November Files - Independence Arch
Current Edition of Caribbean Dreams Magazine
Information sourced from http://www.barbados.gov.bb/cics/cics.html