BARBADOS PUBLIC WORKERS' CO-OPERATIVE CREDIT UNION LIMITED
The Barbados Public Workers' Co-operative Credit Union Limited (BPWCCUL) is the largest credit union in Barbados, serving generations of persons since 1970. This credit union has helped to shape the economic, social and physical landscape of Barbados by providing access to financial resources and educational opportunities to thousands of Barbadians. Therefore, as their slogan says, "this is where you belong!"
The BPWCCUL was officially registered on May 6th, 1970 under the name of the Barbados Civil Service Association Credit Union Limited and underwent a name change to its current name in 1977, in an attempt to widen its membership. This meant that former civil servants, staff of statutory boards, husbands, wives and children of members as well as employees of the National Union of Public Workers could now become members of the credit union.
Today, membership at the BPWCCUL is open to all Barbadians, resident and non-resident.
Some of the products and services include:
- Loans and Mortgages - The BPWCCUL allows you to take out loans for various aspects of day to day living including vehicle loans, student loans, home equity loans and mortgages (to name a few).
- Aids in Financial Education - they have a Financial Education Unit designed to assist members in setting and attaining financial goals and achieving economic stability.
- Co-Optima Services - include Co-Optima Connect (online banking), Co-Optima Voice (easy assess to your account through a simple telephone call), Co-Optima Mobile (Mobile Application) and Co-Optma Pay (bill payment service).
- Legal Services - provides legal services relating to Mortgage transactions, assignment of securities - bonds, shares, insurance policies and Bill of Sale transactions
- Thrift Club - savings account for children with several benefits and opportunities, tailored to meet your child's needs as they grow.
Membership in the BPWCCUL is open to public servants and any Barbadian national. Becoming a member is easy; simply visit any of their branches and present the following:
- A completed Membership Application Form
- Two (2) forms of valid photo identification, e.g. your National Identification Card, Passport or Driver’s License
- Proof of your current home address, e.g. a recent utility bill, bank statement
- A minimum opening deposit of Bds $125. This is made up of an application fee of $5 and your membership qualifying shares of $120.
Joint membership is also available, and there are specific guidelines for this, as well as Thrift Club membership. Non-residents can also become members of the credit union by simply filling out a membership application form and submitting the required documentation (more details here).
The benefits of becoming a member are numerous, as you are entitled to various savings across the island. Simply show your co-optima card, and you can receive discounts at a variery of places island-wide. Click here for more information.
Address: Emerald City, Highway 5, Six Roads
Parish: St. Philip
Tel: (246) 430-5200
Fax: (246) 271-1233
Address: Carlton Complex, Black Rock
Parish: St. Michael
Tel: (246) 430-5200
Fax: (246) 424-1700
Read Our Publications Now!
Double Click Image for Full Screen