There are so many superstitions that exist worldwide, largely unique in their own nature based on culture. This article will take a look at the superstitions of Barbados.
- No sea bathing on Good Friday – this is one of the superstitions surrounding the Easter Tradition, as many believe Good Friday is a time of death.
- Egg in a Glass – placing an egg in a glass of water, will cause the shape of the cross to form (on Good Friday).
- Physic Nut Tree – bruising of a physic nut tree (also known as the Barbados nut tree) at Noon on Good Friday, is said to cause the tree to bleed much in the same way that Christ bled on the cross. The tree usually produces white sap, but it is said that on this day, it will bleed red instead of white sap.
- Crossed legs – pregnant women should not sit with their legs crossed. This is said to cause the baby to mimic her movement, causing issues in delivery.
- No cemetery visits – if you go to a cemetery, it will cause the child to be born with some form of disability.
- Satisfy all cravings – if a pregnant woman’s cravings are not satisfied, this will cause the shape of what she craves to be shown on the baby.
- Eyes of the fish – you should not punch out the eyes of a fish while pregnant, as the baby will be born blind as was result.
- Bird Blessings – if bird droppings fall on you, you can expect good luck.
- Cock crow – if a cock crows before midnight, it is warning the residents of the house it belongs to that death is coming. Also, if a cock points its head towards a house and crows, then a visitor is coming; if it crows with its head pointing away from the house, then someone will die.
- Cackling hens – a group of hens cackling at the same time, is a sign that someone will die soon.
- The pigeon coo – if a pigeon coos on a roof, then an occupant of that house will die. If it coos at night, someone in the community will die.
- Small children – should not be lifted through windows, or they will grow up to become thieves, nor should they be lifted by one arm as it would cause ear infections.
- Tickling babies – if this is done before they can speak, they will develop a stammer.
- Haircuts – if a baby boy gets a haircut before he speaks, it will delay his talking.
- Over-setting Babies – stunts the growth of the baby.
- Loosing teeth – if a child loses a tooth, then someone should throw the tooth on the roof, to guarantee that a new tooth will grow.
- Napping – placing a bible near to a sleeping child will keep the spirits away.
- Appearances – it is good luck for a boy to look like his mother, and a girl to look like her father.
- Noisy crickets – signifies that the owner of the house it enters will come into money. This cricket should not be killed.
- Grasshoppers – brown grasshoppers symbolize good luck, green symbolizes bad luck and must not be allowed to enter the house.
- Ladybirds – if a ladybird lands on someone’s clothes, then new clothes will be forthcoming.
- Money fly – if this enters a house, is a sign that the occupants will come into money. If you kill it, you are said to be shooing money out of your house.
- Rings – young women should not wear rings on the left hand before marriage, as this limits their chances of future marriage.
- Wedding dress – the groom should not see the bride on their wedding day, a bride should never make her own dress, and only the bride should wear black at a wedding.
- Wedding date – weddings should never take place on a Friday.
- Sitting on a wet or hot surface will cause a stomach ache. Feet should have a cooling off period, before walking on a wet ground, as this can also cause stomach ache.
- Females should not let anyone else touch their hair, as this will cause it to fall out.
- Itchy palms signify money is coming.
- Cobwebs on face indicates someone in the family will die.
- It is said that if you sneeze, someone has mentioned your name in a conversation
- Do not start the day unless you read your horoscope to find out what lies ahead.
- If you experience bad luck, enter the sea backwards and throw a pinch of salt over both shoulders.
- Opening an umbrella indoors will release evil spirits.
- Pointing at the headstone of a grave will cause fingers will fall off.
It is evident that Barbadians tend to get very superstitious regarding some issues. However, it is all up to the individual to choose what to believe, and when to believe it.
To view image sources click here