Have you visited Needhams Point recently? This historic area is located at the southern end of Carlisle Bay, on the south-west tip of Barbados.
The Needham’s Point area has long been connected with the military. The Naval Dockyard was based here and the buildings, built in 1805, were then used as military barracks until 1831. St. Ann’s Fort, home to the Barbados Defence Force, lies to the southern end of Needham’s Point. Today, St. Ann’s Fort also houses the world’s largest and rarest collection of 17th century English iron cannons. Behind the Fort, which began construction in 1705, is the Military Cemetry which was first used in 1780. While admission to the cemetery is free, donations are accepted to aid in the maintenance of the grounds and buildings.
With the Historic Bridgetown and Its Garrison being noted as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Needham’s Point has been listed as one of the historic sites. Visit the Hilton Hotel and view this historic site.
Article © Caribbean Dreams Magazine
Photo © Caribbean Dreams Magazine